Waxing physically and philosically...

After literally years of deliberation, and as a result of some delicate and some less delicate prodding, this blog is my effort to organize - to bring together - my thoughts about my work as a conductor and as a personal trainer, to rant and rave as necessary, to celebrate the little things and the larger moments of brilliance, and to share some conductive magic and life lessons gained through 'waxing physically and philosophically'.

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

In the beginning ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9u81pqlyHg

This promotional video -- just recently posted on a colleague and friend's blog -- was made (gulp) over a decade ago when the Adult Conductive Education Program at Ontario March of Dimes was literally in its infancy, and I was a newly graduated, wet behind the ears conductor.

Ontario March of Dimes continues to run successful Conductive Education programs -- http://www.marchofdimes.ca/EN/programs/CE/Pages/ConductiveEducation.aspx

On a personal note -- fond memories triggered by every face in that video -- the senior conductor AB who took me from student to professional, each person, each story.  If only I'd been blogging then -- what a wealth of untold experiences and stories.  I'd love to know how you all are now, and for you to know how much you have shaped me, how much you still mean to me.

Thanks Susie -- what a fantastic way to start my day!

Here is Susie's blog which recently posted the video, and where you will find a wealth of told conductive experiences:

http://www.susie-mallett.org/2011/04/it-can-happen-to-anyone.html

There are places I remember, in my life, though some have changed
Some forever, not for better.  Some have gone, but some remain
All these places have their moments, 
With lovers and friends, I still can recall
Some are dead and some are living, 
In my life, I've loved them all                                                                 
                                                                  Lennon & McCartney


http://www.skreemr.com/link.jsp?id=61534A50525F65&artist=The%20Beatles&title=In%20My%20Life

5 comments:

  1. Lisa, this really is the best video telling the world about conduction that I have ever seen. It is a shame it has not been noticed more over the past ten years. I am really glad to have at last seen it.

    Perhaps now that it is out there in a more prominant position on our blogs and with Google finding it for us too, it will inspire many others.

    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susie, I'm heading home for a visit in July -- will certainly visit my old stomping grounds and see what is happening there. From what I understand there are still some adult groups but much of the focus has shifted to early intervention / kindy programs. If anyone from March of Dimes Canada is reading this -- we'd love an update on what the program is up to and on further promotional material you have produced.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice one, Lisa.

    Here's to the next one.

    Before long, I hope.

    Andrew.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lisa
    Loving your posts. We continue to offer both child and adult classes at march of dimes. Enrollment is lower than we would like in our adult programs but not through a shift in our focus. We remain committed to providing services for people with disabilities across the lifespan. We expanded last year and now offer more early intervention programs for parent and child and preschool aged children and continue to offer classes for people with parkinsons, ms, stroke, abi and adult cp. Our last promotional video was focused on the early intervention program for the pepsi refresh challenge . We have also expanded programs to include overnight camps for teens and adults in conjunction with the recreation department. We continue to adjust and develop services to suit the needs of our participants.
    Would love to see you in July - let us know when you are arriving.
    Mhairi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the update Mhairi -- I do sleep better knowing my baby is in your very capable hands :-)

    FYI readers - Mhairi Watson is the senior conductor / group leader running the Conductive Education Services at March of Dimes Canada in Toronto

    ReplyDelete